Speed Up Netty SSL
Knowing Where You Are
First you can do a few simple test to see how good (or bad) your current SSL configuration of your Netty server is. Note: These tools also work with any other web server.
- Perform the wormly SSL Web server test on your server to get an idea how well your server is configured.
- For a more comprehensive test, consider to use the tool sslyze, which will test your server SSL configuration.
Just download their executable from https://github.com/nabla-c0d3/sslyze/releases, unpack the repository and run
sslyze.exe --regular yourserver.com
The test might run for a while but will generate a very informative report.
Improving Netty Performance
Depending on your results in the first step, you might consider the following ways to improve the performance of your Netty server:
- Assure to keep HTTP connections ALIVE.
This requires to send a 'Content-Length' header to the browser and not to close the channel after a response has been written to the channel.
- For static resources, assure that a CacheControl header with the value 'public' is present. E.g.: .setHeader("Cache-Control", "max-age=124000, public");
- For cases of very high load, consider to configure Netty to use openssl on your server. Also, have a look at OpenSslServerContext.